Tuesday, February 25, 2014

New Year, Improved Me...

Each year I like to make New Year's Resolutions. Usually I like to do it on MY new year, my birthday. However, that did not happen this year. Since I was apparently too busy in September for thinking of "improvements" to my life, I went ahead and made some resolutions in 2014. 

On the way home one day shortly before the end of the year, I was feeling quite upset. If you asked me now, I couldn't tell you what I was upset about, but at the time... it seemed BIG. Maybe it was something that happened at work, or Jeremy and I were in an argument, who knows? That unhappy drive home from work led me to exactly what my focus is for 2014.... I'm sure there is a direct quote out there in the universe that says this much more eloquently than me but all I could think was, "No one can create your happiness, it comes from within." That thought lead me straight to my 2014 Resolutions, that were set completely around what makes my smile bigger. 

  • Run 10 miles a week. 
    • Last year, I made a resolution to become a healthier me. I started running. It was awful. Not pretty at all. Surprisingly though, I liked it. I felt better about myself and even lost some weight. It's hard to find time to run though. So I'm making a pointed effort to run (jog) every week and log 10 miles. *Note - It's 02.25.14 and I have not yet made it to 10 miles in one week yet. Fail. :(
  • Read 52 books this year. 
    • I LOVE to read. It is probably my favorite pastime. I love romance novels, murder mysteries, drama, science fiction, pretty much anything. I want to ready 52 books this year. I've already made it through four. I'm busy right now with work so I may have to do a catch up this fall in order to get a whole 52 books in before next year. I also fully intend to do a quick re-cap of the books that I've read. I have one written so I'll have to post it soon!
  • Meal Planning
    • Cooking is one of my favorite things, however, getting it done in a timely manner when we get home from work seems pretty impossible. I'm not one of those pre-cooker types, at least not yet. When the boys are playing sports I may be a super freezer cooker. But for now, just knowing what is actually for dinner instead of deciding about it at noon each day is a weight off my shoulders.
  • Walk away when I want to yell. 
    • Having two boys in our house at times can be a bit challenging. And this momma is not the most patient person. I truly want to be the most understanding and awesome mom in the world, but also want the boys to respect me. It is hard to find the right balance of being strict while still being the loving, snuggly mom I want to be. So, when I feel like I'm going to get upset and it's not warranted, I am trying to walk away. 
Honestly, the resolutions I set for this year have had me feeling a little selfish. The first two are things that actually may take me away from my family... I have a problem reading when the boys are up and nap times don't take very long anymore! And Jeremy is awesome and lets me take a run at night when we get home from work (I'll do this after the boys are in bed when it's light out in the spring/summer). But, that is just less time with the boys on an already short night. The last two resolutions are for our whole family. I don't feel selfish about those, at all. Such the life of a mom. Running and reading are not selfish things at all, but man is it hard to recognize that doing stuff for "me" is just as important as doing things for everyone else too. 

Oh yeah... keeping up with this blog thing is on the list as well. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...